Wednesday, January 18, 2012

One way to have a drought resistant lawn

Out here in the Western U.S. we have an issue with little amounts of rain.  In Northern California we kind of ignore the real effect of the lack of rain, and continue growing lawns with grass as if we lived out east where it rains all the time.  Regular grass just doesn't make ecological sense here because we don't get rain for most of the year.  Most years the rain starts around November and ends in March and the rest of the year it's blue skies and no rain, except the last couple years the rain hasn't been starting until February (can you say "global warming"?). 

This morning on my walk I saw this:-

In case it's not clear - this yard is full of rocks.  Specifically the smooth rocks often called "river rock". 

Rocks don't need to be watered, meaning that this part of this family's yard does not require any expenditure of water, meaning that it's drought friendly.  Right?

There are other ways to do "drought friendly" of course.  Such as choosing plants that make sense in the local climate, rather than importing plants that make sense for other climates.  I would rather that this yard have drought friendly plants than rocks, because having more plants in the world helps the atmosphere, but at least they're doing their part to have drought friendly landscaping.

By the way the house across the street had a different take on "drought friendly".  Bare dirt.  No grass or other plants, means the yard doesn't require watering, but it's rather sub-optimal.  The yard next to that one had yet another take -- mulch that suppresses plant growth.  Again, a nice way to avoid having to water the lawn but sub-optimal to the preferential method of planting drought friendly plants.

4 comments:

  1. Let me start with the drawbacks immediately, as there are several. It is incredibly expensive, and occasionally the customer support hangs up, but. But I began to agonize to gather my brain's juices to create the piece. edubirdie reviews were nervous for me. Really easy payment system for cards, because the form is completed without any problems. I stopped using this website, although I have 6 works on my account. I was never stolen, twice modified my work since writing it since I did not provide it everything in particular. And this is not usually a position, just a part of the prize on the drum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Ukrainians gravitate southward, with bright contrasts and more expressive facial characteristics. Striking contrast between expressive eyebrows and light skin. I would suggest you find the ukrainian mail order brides if you are a foreigner and want this kind of look. Two years ago, my friend sent me advice on the web, and I found my love in three months. This platform is recommended to everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Everyone, I want to tell you how I met a woman from Bulgaria. I was lonely and lived a normal, uninteresting life only a little bit ago. But I had the notion of familiarizing myself with the Internet. And I found a resource to discover bulgarian women for all tastes. Why did I pick a lady from Bulgaria? The ladies of Bulgaria are clever. In different domestic jobs, they are talented. You may cook several tasty dishes, sew and decorate your home. The traditional Bulgarian bride is ready to live in the house and nation of her spouse. For her to relocate is no problem. My solitude is gone, so is my life's forbearance. So now I know that it's not a waste of time online dating

    ReplyDelete
  4. How long I couldn't find a reliable test trainer. Contact me at the website https://myexamcoach.com. The next morning I phoned these people and found me an excellent coach. Since I completed my tests, I never regretted attending to them.

    ReplyDelete